This Healthy Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip is the perfect lightened-up appetizer for any potluck or game-day party. Made with Greek yogurt, neufchâtel cheese, Frank's Red Hot Sauce, and plenty of tender chicken breast, this quick, easy, and delicious dip has less fat and more protein than classic buffalo chicken dip. Plus, it's ready in just 30 minutes!
A healthier buffalo chicken dip recipe that has all the flavor of the traditional version, but with less fat and more protein? Sign me up!
In this Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip recipe, I replace the ranch dressing with 2% Greek yogurt and ranch-inspired seasonings such as dried dill, chives, garlic, and parsley. I also swap regular cream cheese for neufchâtel cheese (sometimes called ⅓ less fat cream cheese).
But, I promise, you can't even taste the difference. This healthy buffalo chicken dip is jam-packed with all the flavor and creaminess you know and love.
So, if you’re looking to try something a little healthier for game day or for your Super Bowl party this February, keep reading to learn how to make this amazing reduced-fat buffalo chicken dip recipe.
>> Need a vegetarian dip for game day? Check out my Vegetarian White Bean Buffalo Dip recipe.
Some links throughout this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. If you’re willing to use them, it helps fund this site and allows me to continue to provide content. I appreciate your support!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Reduced Fat- This healthy buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt only has 13 grams of fat per serving compared to classic hot wing dip, which has 23 grams of fat.
- Higher Protein- Since Greek yogurt replaces ranch dressing in this healthy appetizer, each serving has approximately 19 grams of protein.
- Easy to Make- Ready in less than 30 minutes, this healthy dip is super easy to make, especially if you use leftover chicken. Just mix everything together and bake until bubbly and delicious.
- Perfect for Parties- Everyone loves buffalo chicken dip. Luckily, this recipe can quickly and easily be doubled. Need enough for a really large crowd? Triple the recipe and keep it warm in a slow cooker.
Here are some notes on key ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Shredded Chicken- I highly recommend using a leftover roasted chicken to make this dip because the meat is super flavorful - way more flavorful than boiled chicken or canned chicken. You'll need a total of 2 cups shredded chicken.
- Cayenne Pepper Sauce- Frank's Red Hot Sauce is my go-to buffalo chicken dip sauce. However, you can use whichever hot sauce you typically use for buffalo-style recipes.
- Greek Yogurt- To lighten up this buffalo chicken dip, I used Greek yogurt in place of the ranch dressing. I like to use 2% Greek yogurt, but you can use whole or fat-free, if preferred.
- Neufchâtel Cheese- I use neufchâtel cheese to replace the cream cheese that you would normally find in buffalo dip. Neufchâtel cheese, sometimes referred to as ⅓ less fat cream cheese, also helps to lighten up this recipe.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese- When I make buffalo chicken dip, I like to use cheddar cheese (don't hate me, blue cheese enthusiasts!). I mix a little into the dip itself, then use the rest on top. For melty, fresh-tasting cheese, grab a block of cheddar and shred it yourself.
- Seasonings- Since we're not using ranch dressing, I add some dried herbs and seasonings that help give this dip a ranch-like flavor. These seasonings include garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, dried dill, dried chives, kosher salt, and black pepper.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make this Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip.
Step 1: Mix all ingredients together. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, softened cream cheese, hot sauce, and spices until smooth. Add the shredded chicken and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Stir together until the chicken is thoroughly coated.
Step 2: Bake the buffalo chicken dip. Pour the mixture into an ungreased cast-iron skillet or baking dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling. Allow the dip to cool for a few minutes before serving. Top with a few shakes of hot sauce and some chopped green onions or chives and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Instructions
Mix together all ingredients except ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray and add the buffalo chicken dip mixture to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir the dip thoroughly, adding ¼ cup of water if the dip seems dry, then sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and allow the cheese to melt on top for about 15 minutes.
Note: If making this dip in the slow cooker, I recommend doubling the recipe. Doubling the recipe will fill the crockpot up more and prevent the dip from drying out or burning.
Tips for Success
- Make Ahead- Greek yogurt wing dip is perfect for making ahead. You can mix all of the ingredients together up to 3 days ahead of time and store the dip in the refrigerator until you're ready to heat and serve.
- Use Leftovers- Buffalo chicken dip is a fun and easy way to use up leftover chicken. If you know you're going to be making this dip for an upcoming party, plan to make a roasted chicken for dinner a few days before and use the leftovers in this recipe.
- Shred Your Own Cheese- For cheese that melts well and tastes super fresh, opt for buying a block of cheddar that you shred yourself. Pre-shredded cheese is often coated in anti-caking agents that prevent it from melting as nicely as fresh cheese does.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ways you can customize this Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip to fit your diet and taste preferences.
- Shredded Chicken- You can really use any chicken you like or have on hand. Use shredded chicken breasts, thighs, or legs. Cook the chicken at home yourself or buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. You can even use well-drained canned chicken. This dip is super flexible.
- Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce- Frank’s Red Hot is traditional, but what other hot sauces can be used to make buffalo dip? Try Sriracha, Tapatío, Tabasco, Cholula, or Valentina hot sauce. Honestly, any hot sauce can be used. But, keep in mind, the flavor of the dip will likely change depending on the hot sauce.
- Greek Yogurt- While I use low-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe, feel free to use nonfat Greek yogurt, sour cream, or cottage cheese instead. On the other hand, you can easily replace the Greek yogurt with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing like in a traditional buffalo dip recipe (just leave out the seasonings).
- Neufchâtel Cheese- Of course, you can replace the neufchâtel cheese with regular cream cheese. And, while I haven't tried this myself, you can also try replacing the neufchâtel with cottage cheese, sour cream, or more Greek yogurt.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese- If you're a blue cheese lover, swap the shredded cheddar cheese with blue cheese crumbles. You could also try shredded pepper jack cheese, monterey jack cheese, or even mozzarella cheese.
- Seasonings- The seasoning blend in this recipe mimics the seasonings you would find in ranch dressing. You can swap the dried herbs for their fresh counterpart if preferred. Otherwise, use a packet of ranch seasoning.
- Gluten-Free- This Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip is naturally gluten-free so it's the perfect appetizer for those with celiac disease. Of course, it's important to always check the label of each ingredient to ensure that it is truly gluten-free.
- Vegetarian- Looking for a vegetarian buffalo chicken dip? My White Bean Buffalo Dip recipe uses cannellini beans in place of the chicken.
- Extra Spicy- Frank’s Red Hot makes a spicier version of their original cayenne hot sauce called Xtra Hot Sauce. Otherwise, you can use whichever extra spicy hot sauce you prefer. Better yet, slice up some fresh jalapeño peppers to bake on top of the dip.
- Mild- If buffalo dip is typically too spicy for you, use only ¼ cup of hot sauce and add an extra ¼ cup of Greek yogurt to tamper the spice level a bit.
What to Serve with Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips
- Pita Chips or Bread
- Whole Grain Crackers
- Breadsticks or Garlic Bread
- Bell Pepper Strips
- Snap Peas
- Cucumber Slices
How to Use Up Leftovers
- Topping for Baked Potatoes or Nachos
- Mixed into Macaroni and Cheese, Pasta, or Rice
- Loaded French Fries
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Egg Roll Filling
- Buffalo Chicken Panini, Sandwich, or Quesadilla
- Stuffed Bell Peppers or Zucchini
Storage and Reheating
If serving this dip at a game day party or cookout, remember that food should only be left at room temperature for a maximum of 2 hours. This food safety rule prevents harmful bacterial growth. If you’re worried about keeping food out too long, try storing half the dip in the refrigerator and reheat it as you need more.
How to Store
- Refrigerator- Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip can safely be stored in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. To store, either cover your casserole dish tightly with plastic wrap or transfer the leftover dip to an airtight container.
- Freezer- You can also freeze leftover buffalo chicken dip. Just place the dip in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
>> Want to learn how to freeze buffalo chicken dip the right way? Check out this all about freezing buffalo chicken dip.
How to Reheat
If your dip is frozen, I recommend thawing it overnight in the refrigerator prior to reheating it for the best results.
- Oven- Place the leftover buffalo chicken dip in an oven-safe casserole dish or cast-iron skillet. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and warmed through.
- Stovetop- Add the buffalo dip to a small saucepan and warm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. If the dip seems a little dry, add a splash of water to help loosen it up.
- Microwave- For convenience, Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip can easily be reheated in the microwave. Simply place the leftover dip in a microwave-safe container and heat on high for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds to ensure even heating.
- Slow Cooker- Reheating food in a slow cooker or crockpot is not typically recommended. Slow cookers take too long to heat up leftovers, leaving them in the temperature "danger zone" for longer than they should be. To serve leftover buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot, reheat it using another method. Then, add it to a slow cooker set to low.
- Refrigerator Instructions- Mix all ingredients together except ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Spread the mixture into a baking dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to bake, uncover, top with the remaining cheddar cheese, and bake according to the recipe card below.
- Freezer Instructions- Spread the buffalo chicken dip mixture into a freezer-safe casserole dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then cover again with a piece of aluminum foil to help protect against freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months. You can either bake directly from frozen (if your casserole dish is tolerant of temperature fluctuations) or allow it to thaw prior to baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, feel free to swap the dill, chives, parsley, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper for a packet of ranch seasoning.
Yes! This Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip can easily be made in a slow cooker, which is perfect when cooking for a crowd or a party. I recommend doubling the recipe, especially for a larger slow cooker. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, mix them together, and heat on high for 1 ½-2 hours. Then, top with shredded cheddar cheese and allow the cheese to melt for about 15 minutes.
This buffalo chicken dip recipe should already be pretty thick thanks to the Greek yogurt and neufchâtel cream cheese. However, if your dip came out a little thin, you may not have mixed the cream cheese with the rest of the ingredients well enough. Make sure the neufchâtel cheese is softened before mixing.
This healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe shouldn't turn out greasy. If you end up with greasy buffalo chicken dip, you may not have fully mixed the ingredients before cooking. Using softened cream cheese or neufchâtel cheese should help with making sure all ingredients are well blended.
The answer to this depends on your tolerance for spicy food. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and other Louisiana-style hot sauces are typically pretty low on the Scoville scale. The original blend of Frank’s cayenne pepper sauce is only 450 SHUs. For comparison, a jalapeño pepper is 2,500 to 8,000 SHUs and crushed red pepper flakes are anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 SHUs.
Be sure to leave a comment below if you have any questions about the recipe. You can also connect with me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or via email at [email protected].
More Appetizer Recipes
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- White Bean Buffalo Dip
- Burrata Bruschetta Toasts
- Broccoli Cheese Bites
- Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- Butternut Squash Hummus
- Cucumber Pico de Gallo
Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Cast iron skillet or baking dish
- ¾ cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 8 ounces neufchâtel cheese (⅓ less fat cream cheese)
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce or preferred hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Scallions or chives for topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, softened cream cheese, hot sauce, and spices until smooth. Add the shredded chicken and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Stir together until the chicken is thoroughly coated.¾ cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt, 8 ounces neufchâtel cheese (⅓ less fat cream cheese), ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried parsley, ½ teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon dried chives, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 cups cooked shredded chicken, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pour the mixture into an ungreased cast-iron skillet or baking dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling. Allow the dip to cool for a few minutes before serving. Top with a few shakes of hot sauce and some chopped green onions or chives and enjoy!1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Mix together all ingredients except ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray and add the buffalo chicken dip mixture to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir the dip thoroughly, adding ¼ cup of water if the dip seems dry, then sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and allow the cheese to melt on top for about 15 minutes. (Note: If making this dip in the slow cooker, I recommend doubling the recipe. Doubling the recipe will fill the crockpot up more and prevent the dip from drying out or burning.)
Gina Pasquale says
I haven't made this recipe yet, but I TOTALLY will be at some point soon!! Sounds right up my ally!! Thank you Ashley!! YUMMM!! Just printed it out!!
Ashley Petrie says
Thank you so much!