This Buffalo Chicken Flatbread is quick, easy-to-make, and so flavorful, it should be on a restaurant menu! Made with fluffy naan bread, homemade buffalo sauce, and ranch-seasoned chicken breast, these homemade flatbread pizzas are versatile and great for both parties and busy weeknight dinners.
I'm not being dramatic when I say this might be one of the best buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas I've ever tried. Seriously, it's restaurant-level good!
What sets this recipe apart is the ranch-seasoned chicken breast. Instead of using pre-cooked chicken, I sautéed sliced chicken breast in oil, then seasoned it with my own ranch-inspired blend of herbs and spices.
To make these flatbreads even more delicious, I highly encourage you to try making your own naan bread. The incomparable flavor of homemade naan really makes these buffalo chicken flatbreads shine.
Today, I’m walking you through the entire process including the best ingredients to use, tips that will guarantee you make this recipe successfully the first time, and some of my favorite ways to serve these spicy flatbread pizzas.
Disclaimer: Some links throughout this post are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can learn more by visiting my Affiliate Disclosure Page.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Restaurant-Worthy Flavor- Impress your family and friends with a homemade buffalo chicken flatbread pizza that's so good, it tastes like it came from a fancy restaurant.
- Family-Friendly- If your family loves buffalo chicken as much as mine, they're going to love this buffalo chicken flatbread recipe. It's a perfect blend of spicy and cheesy that will have everyone asking for seconds!
- Quick & Easy- This easy flatbread pizza recipe is ready in just 35 minutes, making it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
- Perfect for Game Day- Hosting a party for the big game? Score major points with a lineup of spicy buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas! You'll have all of your guests cheering.
Here are some notes on the key ingredients. For the full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Naan Bread- If you have the time, I highly recommend making homemade naan bread for this recipe. Naan bread can be made up to 4 days in advance and stored at room temperature.
- Chicken Breast- Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breast. I like to thinly slice my chicken breast into bite-sized pieces so it cooks quickly, but you can also cube it if preferred.
- Hot Sauce- For classic buffalo sauce flavor, I always use Frank's RedHot Sauce. Adjust the spiciness of the buffalo wing sauce by adding more or less hot sauce to the butter.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to make the buffalo sauce since hot sauce already contains a lot of sodium.
- Mozzarella Cheese- Use low-moisture, part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese. Shred it yourself from a block for the best results when making homemade flatbread pizza.
- Cheddar Cheese- Adds a sharp, tangy flavor that goes perfectly with buffalo chicken. For the best taste and texture, I suggest shredding your own cheddar cheese from a block.
- Ranch Seasonings- A combination of dried dill, parsley, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper gives the chicken a ranch dressing-like flavor that pairs well with buffalo sauce.
- Dressing- A drizzle of creamy ranch or blue cheese dressing mellows out the spicy buffalo sauce.
- Scallions- Sliced green onions provide a fresh flavor and crunchy texture to the flatbread.
🌱 Sustainability Tip: Buying locally-sourced chicken supports the local economy, reduces your carbon footprint, and promotes animal welfare.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ways you can try customizing this flatbread buffalo chicken pizza recipe to fit your diet and taste preferences.
- Naan Bread- Swap naan bread for tortillas, pita bread, lavash bread, chapati, or pizza crust.
- Chicken Breast- Substitute chicken breast for boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Or use leftover roasted chicken or a rotisserie chicken for a quicker option.
- Buffalo Sauce- Replace Frank's RedHot Sauce with your hot sauce of choice.
- Cheeses- Experiment with other cheese varieties like provolone cheese, monterey jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, or crumbled blue cheese.
- Ranch Seasonings- Use a pre-made ranch seasoning packet for a quicker option.
- Olive Oil- Any neutral flavored oil or butter can be used to sauté the chicken.
- Dressing- For a lighter, more tangy flavor, swap the dressing for sour cream or plain yogurt. Or skip the dressing altogether.
- Scallions- Chopped red onions, chives, or even cilantro can be used as an alternative to scallions for a different flavor profile.
- Gluten-Free- Make gluten-free buffalo chicken flatbread by substituting the naan bread for gluten-free naan bread. Additionally, ensure all of the other ingredients are labeled gluten-free before using.
- Vegetarian- Try swapping the chicken for chickpeas or white beans for a vegetarian-friendly version of this flatbread recipe.
- Extra Spicy- Love all things spicy? Add sliced jalapeño peppers for an extra boost of heat.
- Vegetables- Top this buffalo chicken flatbread with vegetables such as cauliflower, bell peppers, red onion, or tomatoes for more flavor and nutrition.
- Pineapple- Give this buffalo chicken naan bread pizza a sweet, tropical twist by adding some fresh pineapple chunks.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
Here is how to make these buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas.
Step 1: Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 425℉ and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Make the buffalo sauce. In a small mixing bowl, melt the butter in the microwave using 30-second increments on HIGH power. Once melted, add the hot sauce and whisk well to combine. Set aside.
Step 3: Cook the chicken. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced chicken breast and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
Step 4: Season the chicken. Sprinkle the dried dill, parsley, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper over the cooked chicken. Stir and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Step 5: Toss chicken with buffalo sauce. Add 2 tablespoons of the prepared buffalo sauce to the cooked chicken, and toss to combine, making sure the chicken is coated with the sauce.
Step 6: Assemble the flatbreads. Place the naan bread on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of buffalo sauce on each flatbread as the base. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese over the buffalo sauce on each flatbread. Then, evenly distribute the prepared buffalo chicken over the cheeses.
Step 7: Bake the flatbreads. Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 9-11 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Step 8: Serve. Remove the flatbreads from the oven. Drizzle each flatbread with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing, extra buffalo sauce (if desired), and sliced scallions. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: If you end up with extra buffalo sauce, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Tips for Success
Make these buffalo-style chicken flatbreads successfully the first time using these tried and true tips.
- Use parchment paper. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking and to make clean-up a breeze.
- Make homemade naan bread. If you have the time, it's worth the little bit of extra effort it takes to make the naan bread from scratch. The soft, pillowy texture and authentic flavor will elevate your buffalo chicken flatbread to the next level.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is often coated in anti-caking agents that prevent it from melting properly. For the best flavor and texture, shred your own mozzarella and cheddar cheese from the block.
- Thinly slice the chicken breast. For tender chicken that blends perfectly into the flatbread pizza, slice the chicken breast into thin, bite-sized pieces.
- Customize the spice level. Use more or less buffalo sauce to suit your desired spiciness level.
- Rest the flatbreads after cooking. Allow the flatbreads to cool for a minute or two after baking. This helps the cheese and toppings settle, making them easier to handle.
What to Serve With Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
These buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas pair well with a variety of side dishes and can be served as either an easy weeknight meal or as a tasty party appetizer.
If you're serving these cheesy buffalo chicken flatbreads for dinner, try pairing them with a side salad for a light and refreshing meal. Some of my favorites include kale crunch salad, buffalo chicken caesar salad, arugula quinoa salad, and spinach caprese salad.
Finally, make game day extra special by serving this easy party appetizer with other homemade appetizers. Air fryer butternut squash fries, roasted potato wedges, chips with guacamole and pico de gallo, loaded nachos, and cheesy broccoli bites are all delicious options.
Storage and Reheating
How to Store
- Refrigerator- Store the leftover buffalo chicken flatbread wrapped tightly in aluminum foil or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezer- Leftover spicy chicken flatbread pizza can be stored in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat
- Oven- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place leftover flatbread on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Heat for approximately 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the flatbread is warmed through.
- Stovetop- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the leftover buffalo chicken flatbread to the skillet and cover with a lid. Heat for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the flatbread is hot.
- Air Fryer- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Place slices of leftover buffalo chicken naan pizza in the air fryer basket. Reheat for approximately 3-5 minutes or until the flatbread is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Microwave- Place the leftover flatbread on a microwave-safe dish. Heat on HIGH in 30-second increments until the flatbread is fully warmed through.
Whether you're getting ready for a busy week or hosting a party, preparing all or part of these easy buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas in advance can save you time and effort.
- Naan Bread- Freshly baked naan can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 to 3 days.
- Buffalo Sauce- You can prepare the buffalo sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep well for about 1 to 2 weeks.
- Chicken- Cook and season the chicken breast in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Frozen Pre-Made Flatbreads- Assemble the flatbreads with toppings, skip baking, and freeze on a baking sheet until solid. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil and freeze for 2 to 3 months. To bake, preheat oven to 425℉, bake frozen flatbreads for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use pre-cooked chicken for this recipe. Rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken works well and can save time in the preparation process.
Of course! Adjust the size of the flatbreads to your preference. Smaller ones are perfect as appetizers, while larger ones can serve as a main meal.
This buffalo chicken flatbread pizza recipe is not considered low calorie since it contains butter and cheese. For a healthier, more well-balanced meal, have one to two slices of buffalo chicken flatbread with a side of salad or roasted veggies.
Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
For the Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large (about ½ pound) boneless, skinless chicken breast fat trimmed, sliced thin into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- 3 large (10-inch diameter) naan bread
- 1 cup low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing for serving
- 3 scallions sliced, for serving
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat the oven to 425℉ and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the Buffalo Sauce: In a small mixing bowl, melt the butter in the microwave using 30-second increments on HIGH power. Once melted, add the hot sauce and whisk well to combine. Set aside.4 tablespoons unsalted butter, ½ cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
- Cook the Chicken: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced chicken breast and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 large (about ½ pound) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Season the Chicken: Sprinkle the dried dill, parsley, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper over the cooked chicken. Stir and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.1 teaspoon dried dill, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried chives, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Toss Chicken with Buffalo Sauce: Add 2 tablespoons of the prepared buffalo sauce to the cooked chicken, and toss to combine, making sure the chicken is coated with the sauce.
- Assemble the Flatbreads: Place the naan bread on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of buffalo sauce on each flatbread as the base. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese over the buffalo sauce on each flatbread. Then, evenly distribute the prepared buffalo chicken over the cheeses.3 large (10-inch diameter) naan bread, 1 cup low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese, ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Bake the Flatbreads: Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 9-11 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve: Remove the flatbreads from the oven. Drizzle each flatbread with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing, extra buffalo sauce (if desired), and sliced scallions. Serve immediately and enjoy!3 tablespoons ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing, 3 scallions
- Note: If you end up with extra buffalo sauce, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Quick Tip: Shred your own cheese from a block for the best texture and flavor.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Make Ahead: For frozen, ready-to-bake buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas, assemble the flatbreads with toppings, skip baking, and freeze on a baking sheet until solid. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil and freeze for 2 to 3 months. To bake, preheat oven to 425℉, bake frozen flatbreads for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.